Job Title: Banquet Captain
Salary: $12 per hour
Overview: Set among 25 acres of lavender fields, enormous cottonwood trees and lush formal gardens, Los Poblanos is one of the most magnificent historic properties in the Southwest. Each of our lines of business place customer experience on the forefront of our mission in preservation and sustainability. We are dedicated to offering our guests the finest hospitality experience where we strive to consistently exceed expectations.
Los Poblanos is looking for a professional Event Captain who harnesses the spirit of hospitality and takes pride in the details of what makes our property unique and special as well as the details requested by our guests to make their events unique and special.
- Banquet Captain is dedicated to offering first-class service to our guests
- Overseeing private events execution
- Lead event staff, directing set-up, service, and clean-up of food and beverage.
- Make sure that all sanitation and safety codes are met and train staff to recognize improper guest behavior. Event Captain ensure that all elements of a venue are ready before guest arrive. During the event, the Captain interacts with the Event Specialist to respond to any special request or last minute adjustment.
Primary Job Functions:
- Coordinate with event staff, guests, chefs, maintenance, and other groups to ensure smooth operations
- Ensure dining tables, food, beverages, bathrooms, and staff are ready prior to event
- Greet all individuals arriving to Los Poblanos courteously and assist with their needs
- Checking and dealing with special occasion arrangements e.g. Birthdays, Anniversaries
- Maintain ambiance of space – lighting, music, audiovisual equipment, cleanliness, hygiene, special decorating request
- Able to give and carry out direction in a high activity and service-oriented environment
- Lead event staff, including training, presentation, and policies
- Conduct pre-shift meetings before all events to establish all standards and pre-determined special requests and standards set by client
- Liase between kitchen staff and front of house staff including getting details of the menu, food preparation activities, and service standards
- Commanding supervision and organization of cleanup, inventory, and storage of supplies and equipment
- Responsible for monthly inventory, consumption spreadsheet, banquet staff labor, beverage supplies and operating equipment for each assigned event
- Scheduling of staff, prepare weekly duty chart to correspond with banquet functions
- Flexibility to work AM or PM shift, as needed. Must be available to work weekend and holidays
- Ability to work long hours, depending on business and scheduled events.
- Able to communicate clearly in and possess a good command of verbal and written English Additional language skills (Spanish or French) would be a distinct advantage and benefit
- Must be comfortable assigning personnel with specific tasks and working closely with a kitchen staff
- Food Handler and Beverage service certification
- 3 years prior experience as an Event Captain/Maître D or relative experience in a supervisory role, and strong customer service ability
- A genuine interest and understanding in food and drink – wine knowledge is a plus
- Interest in organic farming, agriculture, art and architecture is a plus.
- Some knowledge of MS Products (Excel/PowerPoint/Word/Outlook).
- Energy, enthusiasm, excellent customer service, decision making, and problem solving skills are required.
- Must display a professional appearance and attitude.
- Ability to serve, bartend, host, and wash dishes if necessary.
- Ability to think on your feet and under pressure while maintaining a positive outlook and attention to detail
- Ability to work as part of a small team and independently and use initiative
- Ability to grasp, lift, carry, or otherwise, transport up to 50 lbs. through a crowded room.
- Ability to move or push goods on a hand cart/truck weighing a maximum of 200lbs.
- Knowledge of the appropriate table settings and service ware.